Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Positive Outlook

Johnson's latest blog on SAT scores is refreshing. He is the only person I know who says that kids today are smarter!

When I look at what my kids are doing at 6 and 8 years old and think back to 20 and 30 years ago and what kids did then, I find it very easy to agree with Johnson. I'm not talking about memorizing multiplication tables, I'm referring to critical thought. My 8-year-old can think of alternative solutions to challenges faster and with more creativity than most adults. It's how this generation is wired!

1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Hi Dr. Z.
I agree that reasoning and critical thinking skills are more important than memorization. Recently, I told a fellow teacher how well one of our students did on my math assessment. Even though we had not covered all the skills in multiplication and division, she was able to use her reasoning abilities to determine the correct answers. The teacher's remark was: "She still need Basic Skills because she hasn't memorized her facts."!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home